You can tell a lot about your health from looking at your tongue. Your tongue is the direct gateway between your body, mind and the surrounding environment. Maintaining this connection is essential for your overall health.
Tongue scraping is a very old Ayurvedic self-care ritual where you clean your tongue by removing bacteria, toxins, viruses, fungus and build-up by scraping them off in the morning and night. Tongue scrapers come in many materials and shapes, but preferably they should be curved, not too sharp and made from stainless steel, copper, tin, brass and they can even be made out of gold, silver or platinum.
These are just some of the benefits that will definitely support your health and increase your quality of life.
– Removal of bacteria and foul breath – by tongue scraping daily you remove the build -up on your tongue which contains bacteria and, if left untreated, can lead to bad breath.
– Improve and sharpen your sense of taste – By cleaning your tongue you sharpen your taste receptors improving your ability to taste your food better.
– Heightens communication between food and body – Your tongue is the first place where food and its nutrients can be interpreted by the receptors. By tongue scraping and removing any coating that could be interfering with this connection, you improve the communication between your food and body.
– Removal of excessive Keratin – Tongue scraping can contribute to maintaining the balance of keratin on the tongue. If your diet is not healthy and textured or does not contain enough fibers, keratin might accumulate which might cause a discoloration of the coating and ultimately affect your well-being.
– Stimulation of the internal organs – From an ayurvedic perspective, tongue scraping helps to stimulate the internal organs through energetic connections with the rest of the body as well as cleaning the body by removing Ama (accumulation of toxic residue in the mind-body) and bacteria from the oral cavity.
＊How to use it＊
Use the tongue scraper two times a day ; just before brushing your teeth first thing in the morning and just before going to bed. First cleanse the scraper with clean water, hold the scraper with both hands, putting light pressure on it, scraping the surface of your tongue in long stroke. Repeat this 3-8 times until all the coating has been removed. Finish by rinsing your mouth and the tongue scraper with clean water.