Spring has come… Unfortunately this year many of us have to stay at home and especially for Londoner it is very tough to stay at home with this recent sunny, wonderful weather! People still can go out for exercise so I can see some people enjoy running and walking. But probably many people must been lazy at home… Because Spring is Kapha dominant season according to Ayurveda.
Spring is Kapha season
After a wet and cold winter, we start feeling warmth when spring comes. According to Ayurveda, Spring is Kapha season. Kapha dosha consists of element of “Earth” and “Water”. These elements are very important for the plants to grow in spring but can also cause us to become imbalanced in kapha dosha.
Kapha dosha is aggravated by qualities that are heavy, moist and cold.
Kapha imbalanced signs
- Dullness in the mind
- weight gain with small amount of food
- Excess mucous & congestion
- Oily skin
- Cold & clammy skin
- Attachment issues
UK and Japan are Kapha dominant country
As you know, United Kingdom and Japan are island, surrounded by the sea. Therefore it is believed that both of them are Kapha dominant according to Ayurveda. It means that it is easier to become imbalanced in Kapha dosha if you live these country. You may be more carefully how to eat, spend your day in Spring.
Ayurveda Tips for Spring
Kapha has the nature of “cold” “heavy” and “oily” when it is aggravated so we can prevent from aggravating Kapha by using opposite ones which are “warm” “light” and “dry”.
- Eat less and light food (avoid heavy food which takes long to digest)
- Eat warm food and less oily food.
- Eat “bitter” “pungent” and “astringent” food
- Avoid sugar and sweets
- Take some spices to warm your body – such as ginger and wasabi
- Do some light exercise – walking is a good idea!
- Do exercise between 6-10am and 6-10pm (Kapha time)
- Keep your body warm – warm bath
- Wake up early and sleep early ** Now many people are working from home / staying at home so it is very easy and tempting to sleep late and wake up late but if it became your habit, it would be very hard to get back to your normal routine!! Be careful!!
Essential oils for balancing Kapha
Because Kapha is water and earth, it is predominately cold, moist, slow and heavy in nature. It can be treated with warming drying, lightening and stimulating therapy. Therefore I would recommend the essential oils which have the properties of removing excess water, warm the body, diaphoretic, stimulant, helping digestion, expectorant and cleansing.
- Citrus – Lemon, Orange, Lime
- Spices – anise, black pepper, cinnamon, coriander, ginger oregano, cardamon, clove, cumin, nutmeg, and turmeric
- herbs – basil, lemongrass, clary sage, dill, hyssop, parsley, peppermint rosemary, thyme, sage
- flower – chamomile, jasmine, rose, neroli
- others – juniper, sandalwood, cypress
Citrus can stimulate and refresh your mind so using these citrus essential oil in the morning (for example inhalation) will help you a good start of the day.
When your digestion is not working well, you can cook with some spices and herbs for your meal as well as massaging your abdomen with these essential oil blends.
Juniper and Cypress are fantastic to get rid of the toxin and excess water from your body.
Of course, your favorite aroma always can make you relaxed. Stress is a big enemy for our immune system.
Let’s get through this tough situation with Ayurveda and Aromatherapy!
Reference source ;
Ayurveda & Aromatherapy -The Earth Essential Guide to Ancient Wisdom and Modern Healing by Dr.Light Miller,ND & Dr.Bryan Miller,DC
インドの生命科学 アーユルヴェーダ by 上馬場和夫、西川眞知子